Horses have had a presence at East Point since at least World War Two. However many historical records were lost when the FBEC grounds were devastated by Cyclone Tracy. If you can contribute to our pre-Tracy historical information with memories or photos please get in touch here.
1939: Horses have been kept at East Point since 1939 when the army was in occupation with Waler horses. When the army moved out, army officers continued the tradition of an equestrian presence at East Point, evolving into the present association in 1969.
1969: Fannie Bay Equestrian Club was incorporated as a not for profit sporting association.
1976: The army handed back their land to the Northern Territory Government in 1976 on the understanding that horses would remain at East Point.
1983: Darwin City Council took over management of East Point Reserve from the Board of Trustees of East Point in 1983. Despite a strong push from Darwin City Council to remove horses from East Point, FBEC was successful in obtaining a 28 year lease. To obtain that lease, FBEC relinquished 40% of the land given to the Northern Territory Government by the army. In leading up to the transfer of East Point to the Council, cabinet members supported the tradition of horses at East Point. Then Chief Minister Paul Everingham wrote to the Lord Mayor setting out the conditions under which the Government would hand over of East Point to the Council and amongst them, he stated:
“The present Ranger Mr West living at Pee Wee camp is to continue living there with a life tenancy. It will also be necessary for a satisfactory agreement to be reached with the government concerning occupation by existing user groups to honour existing obligations and in particular to reach agreement with the Pony Club for its continued occupation of the area currently occupied by it ..."
“You will appreciate that the occupation of this area for such a long period by the pony club and its development for equestrian purposes should receive full consideration in the management of the area and the recreation provided to its members especially the youth who enjoy this form of recreation".
In Hansard, the then Minister of Lands said:
"I would like to see the existing organisations which use the East point Reserve continue to use the area. We do want to see the fliers, the model aeroplanes, the Equestrian Club continue to use the area”.
1993: The 28 year lease negotiated with Darwin City council in 1983 was registered in January 1993.